Friday, October 27, 2017

The Amityville Horror Review



I wasn’t sure of what to make of this novel when I first started to read it. The line between journalism and fiction blurred with this piece. I was absorbed by it.I devoured this book. Every chapter had something that kept me going. This is how a book on the supernatural should be written.

One thing that got my attention was the simple and clear writing. Anson writes in a very pragmatic way, something that’s expected from a nonfiction work. There were no generalizations made. Maybe.
To be honest, this book, being published some 13 years before I was born, was difficult to fully invest myself in. I found connecting to it somewhat of a challenge, but when things began to pick up, that became and nonissue.

The Lutz’s plight was indeed disturbing, but I found some aspect of the haunting not so scary. Creepy yes, but not scary. Thankfully there were no bleeding walls, ghosts in chains and sheets. The coldness in the home was typical of a haunting: the spirit draws energy from the surroundings to manifest itself. However, I didn’t think of the haunting as particularly demonic, save for Jodie, the pig.

In a bit of afterthought, Jodie the pig’s presence as seen by Missy was striking and telling of a demonic presence. Christian doctrine prohibits consuming pig, or at least in some cases. I would think of a demonic presence was a horned humanoid being or even a human-shaped shadow with red glowing eyes. However, the image of Jodie freaked me out.

After mulling over some more, I found Father Mancuso’s role different than what I would have thought. The spiritual guardian of the family, Father Mancuso was taken out of commission for a few days, by what my well be heat blisters. I overlooked this at first for some reason, but this quite honestly reminded me of Salem’s Lot, where the spiritual defender is weakened to the point of uselessness.

Going deeper into the book, I found myself connecting to the people in it. I understood George’s plight: the haunting, balancing his businesses finances, and his family; Kathy’s attempts at managing the children and the home all while dealing with the haunting. I had to keep reminding myself this was nonfiction.

This is just a story, just a story. No.

The Lutz family’s encounter with the supernatural isn’t unique. The family before them were not so lucky. The DeFeo tragedy only added to the supernatural muck. As haunting goes, negative emotions deepen the phenomenon. Violent killings only make whatever spiritual force that occupies a space stronger. Violet deaths only add to demonic haunting.

This book adds credit that life and death are two sides of the same coin. I may be going on a limb here by saying that what is in that house, proves death wrong in some ways. One way is that when life is ended abruptly, say by murder, the essence of the person has difficulty in moving on. Further, whichever entity feeds on that negativity grows stronger. In the vast number of hauntings, both benign and demonic, it can be inferred that the energy that makes up life never disappears.

3 comments:

  1. So, did you find it believable? I did not. The hauntings were so diverse that it was hard to imagine it all coming from one source. The book hails itself as nonfiction but only a journalist and NOT a horror fiction writer could have written a book like this and think it is believable to those of us who crave horror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the writing was very simplistic and clear, which I liked because it enabled me to get through it faster. I have to echo Joe-la's comment here in that I didn't find much of it scary. Only the parts with the DeFeo's interested me, and the idea of demon pig made me laugh. I don't know if this can be considered horror. Like you discuss in your review, there isn't anything too unique about this haunting. The book seems to pull every haunting trope into one house, resulting in a problem of quantity that lacks any quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you mention it, I can definitely see the Salem's Lot reference of the spiritual defender being powerless against the evil. I also agree that the writing was clear, simple, and well-done which made it easier and fun to read but lacked originality.

    ReplyDelete