Friday, October 13, 2017

Madness by Light: The Shining Review



This is most likely one of Stephen King’s creepiest pieces I have read. Sure, there are thrills and spills. But, true to his characters, there’s always more to the book. Something film adaptations don’t quite get is the depth of the characters. However, if there is one criticism I have of this novel is the amount of background, the pages of ‘flashbacks’. But on the other hand, they make sense. I have a theory that Danny’s Shining affects those without.

One thing that truck me about this book was how seemingly ordinary and yet not Jack and Wendy Torrance were. Jack is certainly a flawed character, but as is Wendy in subdued ways and her flaws are displayed in ways similar to Jack: loud outbursts. I sympathized with Jack and yet I found him almost lacking in some ways. I don’t recall there being mention of a therapist. And perhaps this is where Jack reflects the readers: his reluctance to rely on anyone else but himself to solve his problems and with disastrous results. Jack wants nothing more than to be his own savior for his family’s sake.

Wendy, I found to be subdued and some ways: fearful of Jack’s temper, doting mother. In some ways, she was a base archetype of a character, but her development was far slower than Jack’s. Her development was like a crock-pot, while Jack’s was on full boil, spilling over. Over time, Wendy found her voice, but is was immature, but not in a bad way. Her inner strength should have come out far earlier.

With that in mind, Wendy and Jack deserve their share of the blame for not being stronger as people, but that is what makes them shine: their weaknesses. Jack and Wendy mirror each other, but the mirror is tinted different shades and warped in places. Jack is perhaps the most warped. His violent outbursts should have cost him his family and a few years of his life in a cell. To Wendy’s credit and detriment, she stayed with Jack, and even forgave him. To Wendy’s credit, she is incredibly strong for staying with Jack, but in some sense, she doomed herself to living with a mentally unstable man.

Danny has shown himself to be far more mature than his parents—for the time being. His powers at times overwhelmed him and his parents. Danny has shown himself to be resilient even under immense pressure, pressure far greater than his fathers at times. I will admit I was waiting for Danny to start speaking to his finger. I enjoyed how Danny quickly understood his Shining. He had to, otherwise it may have destroyed him and others. The scene at the doctor’s office gave me a glimpse into Danny’s potential: he had to power to heal his parents and destroy them if he chose. But circumstances do apply in a King novel and in life.

The Shining (the ability), is a gift and curse to those who possess it, or whom is possesses. The gift of the Shining has to potential to heal, to see the deepest agony of a person and heal it, or do the opposite. The shining is in one way, the ability to see beyond physical site and understand via telepathy and empathic power. Danny seems to have both, but more telepathic ability.

The Overlook provided a toxic microcosm of what the world is like. The imprints left behind in the bloody history of the hotel perpetually replay. Given Danny’s ability, this proved to be more than a test: it was a living Hell. I am of the opinion that Danny’s Shining negatively affected his father. Meaning, Danny’s uncontrolled power seemed to cause his father to hallucinate. In essence, Danny’s lack of control caused his father to go mad despite Jack’s best efforts.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Wendy. I think she was an underdeveloped character which is strange for King. She was weak and then strong at times. I never could tell if I liked her or not. I still don't know if I like her. He just never gave me enough to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea of the Overlook being microcosm of the world. However, I am on the fence about Wendy's character. On one hand, I see how she fits the stereotype of mother and wife and is limited as a character in that respect. That being said, King does explore why Wendy is this way. She still seems to be modeling and comparing herself to a mother who resented her, which might be why she is so compelled to make it work with Jack and put up with more than the average person. She did plan to leave him if he kept drinking, which does show some strength in her character. Her strength seems to become more apparent at the end of the novel, where she faces Jack and their relationship in a lot of ways. I totally agree that she doesn't receive the same attention as the other characters in the story, but Wendy almost serves as a study of why someone could stay with an abusive husband and father. Her overcoming this at the end of the story shows a lot of personal growth in her, especially since she seems to be a more passive character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with your views on Wendy and Jack. Jack's character was well-developed, strong, and carried a presence. Wendy's character was underdeveloped and meek. I didn't feel like there was anything that made her unique, especially compared to Danny and Jack. I think Danny's character was the strongest because for being five years old, he has this intense gift, he handles situations instead of crying, and he wants what's best for his parents. I think his moments of innocence make him stronger because he's complicated. Mature and yet still too young to fully comprehend things. Like the lady at the hotel wanting to get into the man's pants.
    I agree that the novel was long and there was a lot of background but I felt like it was all necessary to the story. I was able to see these characters and what made them the way they were in the present. It was interesting how King integrated the background throughout the text instead of putting it in large chunks here and there.
    P.S. This is Contessa(:

    ReplyDelete