Friday, November 25, 2016

The Blob (1988): Review

I'll be honest: I hated the beginning of this film. I didn't find any sort of three-dimensional quality in any of the characters, even through most of the film. I loathed the hetero sexism and chauvinistic approach the many of the male characters had toward woman. Good riddance sleezeball!

I could have also done without the creepy reverend, like holy Christ that was great acting and great casting.

Another aspect of this film I didn't care for, but I contradict myself on: the lack of diversity. I understand that this is a rural setting, but I disliked the fact the only human antagonist was African American.

Moving on.

I really did like Brian Flagg (Kevin Dillon). Rebel without a cause, but that is only a surface value assessment of his character. He's not like every one, not like these sleezy, predatory, high school skirt chasers. The Blob was the real hero in this tale from that perspective.

I did see a parallel to The Color Out of Space", but all else was different. In keeping to the time period, the 80's were certainly a time of political unrest given that communism was still on the minds of many American's.

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Well, I never got the whole sexism thing, I guess I never really see that stuff, but I get that it does bother people. For me, it's all about the people fighting the monster and trying to get rid of it. I mean, it was a different time and these were tropes that pertained to these films, but I do agree with Kevin Dillon and the Blob being the best characters, though I always had an eye for Shawnee Smith, but I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin Dillon's hair was probably the best character, I'll agree with you there. But I do want to talk about the diversity. Yes, you're right that it's an urban setting, and that the human antagonist is black, but I didn't really zero in on that. I don't think this type of movie had any obligation to meet a diversity target, in that it's just a silly horror movie. The movie wasn't white-washing (which I will be the first person to call BS on; I still have no desire to see Prince of Persia, Gods of Egypt and The Last Airbender for that exact reason), but was just pandering to their target demographic.

    ReplyDelete