Thursday, November 10, 2016

"Let Them Fight" (For Love!) Godzilla (2014) Review

Where to begin. . . My inner fanboy is screaming!

I liked. I really did.

Aside from being overly critical of the plot, which was cookie-cutter, but there was something about how the characters were handled that struck a cord. Yes, I didn't expect much since this was an action film, but my statement about character stands.

The monsters are the REAL characters (to me at least). I got a Lovecraftian feel from the monsters. They are older than any known extinct creature, and that Godzilla is a force of nature itself to maintain balance is an interesting concept. I couldn't help but build a parallel to the Weapons of Final Fantasy 7. Godzilla is NOT a force of good, though its actions are beneficial to a degree, its role in the film is what places Godzilla into a neutral role.

The "love birds" as I will name them, are also neutral to a degree. Their destructive prowess and ability to feed on radiation and draw a strange form of nourishment can place them in the evil spectrum. (They're not bad, just misunderstood, to borrow a phrase from Hagrid from the Harry Potter series). I find an amusing parallel between the "love birds" and angler fish: the male is always the smaller.

Atomic Breath for the win!

Not to go too much into the plot, which does a nice job of adding to the suspense. Though, comparing this film to the 2016 version, there is equal parts political interest and the nuclear bomb (or two) thrown into the mix, raises the stakes and a mushroom cloud, just for good measure!

Rating: 4.5/5

2 comments:

  1. I was surprised how much I loved this movie. So beautifully shot. So well acted and I thought the script and plot were pretty damn good. I was thrilled when Godzilla breathed into the female muto's mouth and detached her head, just wow!
    And "love birds," lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed how Godzilla just played a natural role, not unlike a mongoose. It's there to keep a natural balance in the world. I give the movie credit for at least being cognizant of the animal kingdom and that not every creature is a parasite to be a parasite (looking at you, humans). The MUTOs limit the Godzilla population and that in turn makes the Godzillas keep the MUTOs numbers in check.

    ReplyDelete